Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vampires, Hospitals and Bears! Oh My!

Sorry I haven't posted in - Geez Louise - nine days! But, look. I have been busy.

Other than working (a lot), my main priority has been watching the entire 26-episode first season of The Vampire Diaries. (I never said I was busy doing anything worthwhile.)
It's a shame that such unattractive people were cast for this show.
Especially Damon, the "evil" vampire. Usually I have a rule against dating the undead,
but I'd totally make an exception for him.
Sigh. As if I needed another show to watch. But, alas. My boss wanted me to watch it so she could talk about it with me. It was practically an order, really. She brought in the dvd box set for me. I mean, I didn't want to get fired. I HAD to spend roughly 20 hours watching a show about hot vampire brothers who are both obsessed with the same woman. Now, I didn't have to immediately order the second season of the show off of Amazon.com so I could start watching that too. But, we are on the verge of another recession, folks. I need this job. And, bosses like initiative.

Other than vamping it up, I have been knitting a lot while watching the usual weekly favorites. I made a very fun cowl-neck wrap thing in a fabulous chunky yarn after seeing one on my coworker. It was basically a long scarf with the ends sewn together. You just loop it around your neck a couple of times and voila, you look all fall-ish and cute. I'd say something self-deprecating here about not looking cute, but remember, I'm working on that.

On a serious front, I spent last week worried about my stubborn-ass father, who spent several nights in the hospital with a terrible infection caused by diverticulitis. He hasn't been taking care of himself or eating well. ("Hello, kettle. You're black." I know...But HE has diverticulitis. I'm just fat.)

Thankfully, my dad is doing better; he now has strict dietary rules to follow - rules we will make sure he follows. But, obviously, having my dad in the hospital was very upsetting. I have led a very fortunate life and am grateful for the health of my family and friends. Many people close to me have lost loved ones too early. That has never been lost on me - I carry those losses with me as well. Scares such as last week's remind me yet again (people with anxiety don't really forget this tidbit) that life ends. For all of us. (Except the vampires.) No one likes to think about their mortality or, even worse, the mortality of their loved ones. I was so thankful that I could visit my dad in the hospital, that I could help my mom out and be there for her. This is why I moved home -- wow, just shy of a year ago (Oct. 30). I want to be there for my family. I want to spend time with them and create memories and enjoy their presence and, yes, of course there are times when we may bicker or argue, but we are family. That is precious and irreplaceable. That's why I moved home.

For some giggles after my whole "We All Die" downer...I bring you the following (courtesy of the lovely Kate Henson, who said she thought of me when she saw this!):


Thank you, Kate Henson! Smooches!

Tonight's entry is short but don't despair. I'll be back tomorrow...I haven't spewed nearly enough useless blog entries into cyberspace lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment