Monday, September 12, 2011

When I'm Walkin', I Strut My Stuff

Today one of my favorite songs came on the radio as I drove home from the office. Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes. I cranked up the radio and sang along and reminisced about my college years - that song takes me back to 1997 and CVP in Towson, MD. (RIP CVP)


Now, I don't want to be in college again. I wouldn't mind looking like I did when I was 21, but I definitely appreciate the maturity that has come with 13 more years of living. (Insert joke about my lack of maturity here.) But, I do miss some things about college. It was a fun-filled four years; what isn't to miss? And, since my fans (Hi, Kamiar and Leah!) were just begging for another post, here's a little comparison of my college memories and my mid-thirties reality. 


Then & Now


In college, I stayed up all night partying at the bars and still got to class on time the next morning. I actually even had an 8 a.m. accounting class. In my mid-thirties,I stay up all night watching bad reality TV or writing a blog that four people read, and barely drag myself out of bed in time to get to the office where I have to drink three cups of coffee before I will speak to a co-worker.


In college, I don't remember paying for a drink; I just always had one in my hand. It helped that I dated a bartender. (Smart, right?) In my mid-thirties, I most definitely pay for my own drinks and then also pay for them the next day with a headache.


In college, if Blister in the Sun came on at the bar, we would all sing and dance along like nuts. Especially when the really quiet part starts and you got really low to the ground and then danced your way back up to jumping up and down and screaming! That was fun, yeah? In my mid-thirties, I don't think I could get back up if I tried to dance that close to the ground.


In college, we would get ready to go out to the bars around 10 p.m. and we'd dance on our beds, singing to the Forrest Gump soundtrack and pre-gaming. In my mid-thirties, the only thing I am getting ready to do at 10 p.m. is go to sleep.


In college, I thought nothing of cramming seven teenagers into my 1990 Isuzu Impulse hatchback and heading downtown for the night. In my mid-thirties, I just posted a rant on Facebook about bratty teenagers who tailgate. (In my defensive, I didn't tailgate - even as a teenager...)


In college, it made perfect sense to wear tiny t-shirts and cute but painful heels, even in the winter, even in the snow. You didn't want to ruin your outfit with a coat, for goodness sake! In my mid-thirties, I just purchased orthopedically correct shoes as a Fall "splurge" (they are actually cute, really!) and am a big fan of dressing appropriately for the weather.


In college, I was really good at beer pong. In my mid-thirties- well, actually, I am still really good at beer pong.


In college, a hangover could be thwarted by eating preventative pizza at 4 a.m., sleeping until 3 p.m. and then going back out the next night. In my mid-thirties, a hangover involves several days of misery and cold sweats. Pizza consumption has been discontinued as the only thing it prevents now is me fitting into my pants.


In college, my favorite part of Thursday nights was $0.25 beer and pizza slice night at the Italian place across from TSU. In my mid-thirties, I pay $9.00 for a glass of pinot grigio, and my favorite part of Thursday nights is Jersey Shore.


Before you think all I did in college was party, I would like to note that I graduated magna cum laude. So, I did study! Although I don't really know HOW after re-reading the above... 

1 comment:

  1. wish I was in my mid 20's then the decision to go to a Thursday night show would be a no brainer. But being in my mid 30's only one thing comes to mind what about work the next day and the hangover that is sure to be there when I wake up Friday....

    ReplyDelete